Thursday

ORA-01017: invalid username/password installing VM Manager 2.1.5 on 11gR2

While installing VM Manager 2.1.5 today an error occurred during the install.   I’m using an existing database instead of Oracle XE and its version 11.2.0.1.

Deploying Oracle VM Manager application to OC4J container.
Creating connection pool … Failed
Please see /var/log/ovm-manager/oc4j.log for more information.

From the oc4j.log:
2011-03-30 15:01:36.381 WARNING J2EE DS-00001 Exception occurred testing connection. Exception: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied



Nothing turned up on Metalink.  It didn’t make much sense to me until I remember that passwords by default in 11g are case sensitive.   I disabled the feature by issuing:

SQL> alter system set SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON=false scope=spfile;

and restarted the database.   When I tried to install VM Manager again it was successful.   I plan to upgrade it to the latest version, 2.2.1 and will check to see if that version supports case insensitivity.

No comments: