Forget to configure your application server as an Administration Instance?

I’ve installed Oracle Application Server quite a few times and today I had to perform another one.   After I installed the application server I tried to login to the console but was greeted by a lovely message:

Oops! This link appears to be broken.

The apache error logs showed:

File does not exist: /u01/app/oracle/product/apps1013/Apache/Apache/htdocs/em/console

The access log:

"GET /em/console HTTP/1.1" 404 342

It turns out, while installing the application server I forgot to select a check box which designated the server as an administrator instance. 


In a single instance environment, such as the one I am setting up, you need to select this option to be able to manage the instance.   If this was a node in a cluster, you should only designate one instance as the administration instance.

So what do you do if you forgot to select it like I did?  Nothing to worry about, you just need to edit two files:

1. Open $ORACLE_HOME/j2ee/home/config/server.xml

Change start=”true” for the ascontrol line.  It should look like this:

<application name="ascontrol" path="../../home/applications/ascontrol.ear" parent="system" start="true" />

2. Edit $ORACLE_HOME/j2ee/home/config/default-web-site.xml

Add ohs-routing=”true” to the ascontrol line.  It should ook like this:

<web-app application="ascontrol" name="ascontrol" load-on-startup="true" root="/em" ohs-routing="true" />

Now you just need to restart the application server:

$ORACLE_HOME/opmn/bin/opmnctl stopall;
$ORACLE_HOME/opmn/bin/opmnctl startall;

and if you goto http://servername:/em/console the application server control should now work.


R12.1.2 Relinking issues after 64bit Migration

We have a large R12 upgrade coming up on the horizon.  Upgrading to R12.1.2, 11gR2 and migrating to 64bit.   As part of the post 64bit migration you have to relink the application programs.  A number of modules wouldn’t relink tho:


g++: /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ilog/6.2/libschedule.a: No such file or directory
g++: /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ilog/6.2/libsolveriim.a: No such file or directory
g++: /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ilog/6.2/libconcertext.a: No such file or directory
g++: /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ilog/6.2/libsolver.a: No such file or directory
g++: /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ilog/6.2/libconcert.a: No such file or directory
make: *** [/u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/eng/12.0.0/bin/ENCACN] Error 1
Done with link of eng executable 'ENCACN' on Tue Oct 19 15:32:10 EDT 2010

Relink of module "ENCACN" failed.

I opened up an SR with oracle but continued to research the problem.   I didn't see anything on Metalink for R12, Google same result.   I searched the entire filesystem to see if the libraries existed elsewhere but no luck
I noticed a zip file /u01/TEST/apps/apps_st/appl/sht/12.0.0/lib/ and listed the contents to see what was in it.  Here is a snip:

[oravis@myserver lib]$ unzip -l
$$Header: 120.5 2006/10/02 17:00  juliang ship                       $
Length     Date   Time    Name
--------    ----   ----    ----
0  05-02-06 02:12   ilog/
0  09-27-06 18:09   ilog/6.2/LINUX/
2  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libconcert.a
2  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libconcertext.a
8  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libcplex.a
2  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libilocplex.a
8  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libschedule.a
0  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libsolver.a
0  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libsolverfloat.a
0  09-27-06 18:08   ilog/6.2/LINUX/libsolveriim.a
--------                   -------
665793708                   72 files

The libraries adrelink was looking for.  I extracted the files, changed to the LINUX directory, moved the files up to the parent directory,  relinked (via adadmin) and it completed successfully.


Looking back on the problem, its strange I didn't encounter it before.   This environment is a copy of an existing R12.1.2 32bit environment.   The only thing i'm changing is migrating it to 64bit.   So I should have hit these relinking issues before.   I checked the source environment and the libraries are indeed there!  

The zip file contains the libraries for a number of platforms, AIX, HPUX, etc.   So the only thing I can think of is that since i'm doing a platform migration, these libraries get removed to make sure the proper ones are used.  However, it doesn't continue and extract the correct libaries from the zip file.