Saturday

Web Home 10.1.3.5 Upgrade – OPMN is failing to start

As part of our upgrade from 12.0.6 to 12.1.2 the Web Oracle Home (10.1.3) needed to upgraded to 10.1.3.5.   I encountered the following issue:

image

I actually encountered this same error while upgrading two cloned environments.  Each time the cause was different.  The easiest one to check is to verify that your ORACLE_CONFIG_HOME is pointing to $INS_TOP/ora/10.1.3 directory. If thats ok and this is a cloned environment, rebuild your inventory.    For a complete guide of how to rebuild an R12 inventory check Metalink note:  How to create, update or rebuild the Central Inventory for Applications R12 [ID 742477.1].


If that doesn’t work, try creating a clean inventory: How to Create a Clean oraInventory in Release 12 [ID 834894.1]


Both of those notes talk about running the $IAS_ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/clone/ouicli.pl script.  I also hit an error running this:

NON-COMPLIANT: /u03/VIS/apps/tech_st/10.1.3/oraInst.loc does not point to an inventory inside the currenOME
Rapid Clone only supports oraInst.loc at that location if its content points to an inventory inside the s_HOME
Please make the necessary changes to the following file:
/u03/VIS/apps/tech_st/10.1.3/oraInst.loc



The weird thing here, is that I compared the oraInst.loc files from my first cloned environment upgrade and they are identical.  In both environments the oraInst.loc file is pointing to:

inventory_loc=/u01/VIS/inst/apps/VIS_servername/admin/oraInventory


For the ouicli.pl script I found OUICLI.PL Fails when Running adcfgclone with R12 if Global Inventory does not exist [ID 458653.1]  which instructs you to create an oraInventory directory inside 10.1.3 ORACLE_HOME, then modify the 10.1.3 ORACLE_HOME/oraInst.loc file and point it to that directory.  Afterwords re-run the cloning script, adcfgclone.pl.

I didn’t run adcfgclone.pl, instead I re-ran the ouicli.pl script and tried to apply the 10.1.3.5 patch again.   This time the OPMN failing to start error did not occur.

Note 458652.1 says the cause was that the global inventory wasn’t found under default locations or there were permissions issues.   I verified that both of those issues were ok.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that I didn’t totally clean this environment before cloning.   There was an existing oraInventory from a previous clone and some other Oracle products that are no longer used.   

1 comment:

Sridevi Koduru said...

Regards
Sridevi Koduru (Senior Oracle Apps Trainer Oracleappstechnical.com)
LinkedIn profile - https://in.linkedin.com/in/sridevi-koduru-9b876a8b
Please Contact for One to One Online Training on Oracle Apps Technical, Financials, SCM, Oracle Manufacturing, OAF, ADF, SQL, PL/SQL, D2K at sridevikoduru@oracleappstechnical.com | +91 - 9581017828.