Friday

External Drives and Vista

For Xmas I bought myself a 1 Terabyte external drive. For awhile i've wanted to play around with vmware and multiple types of images but I didn't have enough space. The first item on my list was to download a copy of R12 and install it.

While staging the software tho I hit a snag. All of the files on the drive were read only. Even tho I am in the administrator group and signified my approval for all of the security popups, I could not modify files.

Based on a google search of "Vista external drive files read only" I soon realized this is a common problem. The root cause, as described in the link below, seems to be that the external drive was probably formated under Windows XP which causes permissions issues.

The article, written by Jesper Johansson provides 2 solutions. The first one didn't work for me... But the second, from an elevated command line did.

If I had known about this before I downloaded R12 and started using the drive for other tasks (about 250GB on it now), I would have reformated it first.

No comments: